Monday, June 7, 2010

Stuffed Zucchini



It's been about a month since my last post, because I haven't really had any reason to cook anything new...sadly. My husband works nights, and I work days, so cooking dinner usually consists of me making a sandwich for myself, and packing him something for lunch. (le sigh!) BUT this month we will actually be able to have dinner together! Here is my celebratory recipe for our first at home dinner together in a loooong time!

I wanted to make this lower fat, so I used turkey bacon. It's definitely not the same as the fatty, wonderful, perfect bacon, but it will do! Especially when it's surrounded by other flavors.

Enjoy!

INGREDIENTS:
2 zucchini
1 small onion
1 tomato
3 cloves garlic
10 strips turkey bacon (or regular bacon, as the case may be)
2 tbsp olive oil
1/2 cup panko bread crumbs
1 cup cheddar cheese
1/2 cup chicken stock

1. Preheat oven to 350.

2. Prepare your mise en place by chopping the onion and tomato, halving and hollowing out your zucchini (keep the insides), mincing your garlic, and slicing your bacon into 1/4 inch strips.




3. Heat oil in pan and brown garlic. Add in bacon and cook for approximately 5 minutes, until brown and fat (whatever fat in turkey bacon...) has rendered.

4. Add in onion, tomato, and the insides (or innards, if we want to be greusome!) of the zucchini. Saute until all has softened and onions are transparent.

5. Add in panko and 1/4 cup cheese, to make everything pull together.

6. Put even amounts of pan contents into the 4 zucchini "boats".

7. Fill a glass pan w/ chicken stock, and put the boats in the pan. Cover w/ cheese. Bake for 15 minutes, or until zucchini has softened and cheese has become a molten lava of goodness. :)

No comments:

Post a Comment