Sunday, March 14, 2010

Swedish Apple Cake



Although I don't have the typically blond hair and blue eyes associated with Swedes, I am actually half Swedish. My maternal grandmother and grandfather moved to the US from Sweden, so it's nice to connect to that part of my heritage (mainly through food and decorating my entire apartment in Ikea...). This is an extremely simple cake, (a Dorie Greenspan recipe), which reminds me of a hybrid of a sugar cookie and a white cake. It's much denser than a cake, but still a little lighter than a cookie. Not the prettiest, frou frou cake, but still yummmm.


Enjoy!

Ingredients:
1 stick butter, melted and cooled
3/4 cup all purpose flour
1 tsp baking powder
pinch of salt
1 large egg plus 1 egg yolk
3/4 cup sugar
1/2 tsp vanilla extract
1 apple, peeled and cut. (I used plain ole red delicious)

1. Preheat oven to 350

2. In one bowl, mix flour, baking powder, and salt. Set aside.

3. In a separate bowl, whisk together sugar and eggs. Add vanilla and butter, and mix until smooooth!

4. Combine wet and dry ingredients, and pour into cake pan. Place apples in a swirl, leaving room in between each piece.

5. Bake for 30-40 minutes, or until inserted toothpick comes out clean.

No comments:

Post a Comment