Sunday, March 21, 2010

Garlic Turnip Salad



Never have I ever eaten turnip...that I can remember at least. As far as I know, these aren't very popular vegetables, but I was pretty excited to learn to use them. I was visiting with a friend at her parent's house, who have their own vegetable garden. They gave me a big ole bag of turnips, so I needed to figure out a good way to use them!

Looking at them, they're not the prettiest little buggers:

From what I've heard, they are used in the same way potatoes are used. I decided to do just that: make a healthier version of a potato dish (fat-laden potato salad). Each serving of this dish, if you divide into 4 servings (for a nice, hearty side dish), is only about 12o calories. It appears to be one of those naughty, cream side dishes, but with turnips instead of potatoes, you cut down on a lot of extra calories and carbs. Tangy and flavorful. Enjoy!






INGREDIENTS (makes about 4 servings):
-6 turnips, peeled and cubed
-20 oz chicken broth
-2 small or 1 large yellow onion, peeled and diced
-4 cloves garlic, minced
-2 tbsp olive oil
-1/2 cup sour cream (I used light, to lower calories)
-1/2 cup chopped kale (for color!)
-Salt and pepper to taste

1. Heat oil in a large pot, and brown garlic.

2. Add in broth, onions and turnips. Let boil until turnips are tender and onions begin to become translucent. (about 15 minutes).

3. Drain any extra water that may be left and stir in sour cream and kale. Serve warm, or refrigerate and serve as a traditional "salad".

No comments:

Post a Comment