In regards to nutrition, the only cooking fat added into the mix is a heart-friendly olive oil. However, if you are watching your fat and cholesterol intake, I would suggest cutting the shrimp and chorizo portions in half. The chorizo does contain quite a bit of saturated fat, and shrimp has a surprisingly high cholesterol content. If you focus on the veggies with fewer bites of the meats, you'll still feel full with the high volume of vegetables and can avoid a lot of saturated fat. Grocery stores always carry alternatives to the beef and pork sausages, and you might be able to find a spicy turkey or spicy chicken sausage that would substitute well for the chorizo. If you're looking for a lower carb version, just take out the potato from the ingredients. It works to thicken the mixture and add some starchiness, but the recipe would work well without it as well. You can also look for a whole wheat or a spinach-based tortilla, and use brown rice for a well rounded side item.
3 bell peppers: one red, one yellow, one green
2 medium yellow onions
1 medium potato, peeled
1 tomato (I used a medium sized plum tomato)
2 garlic cloves, minced
2 tbsp olive oil
1 lb. chorizo
1 cup shrimp, de-veined and tail removed
1. Chop peppers and thinly slice the onions. Set to the side. Cube potato and tomato, set aside in a separate pile. Cut chorizo into 1/2 inch slices and set aside in another pile.
2. Heat 1 tbsp olive oil in pan on medium/high heat and brown garlic.
3. Add in the peppers and the onions. Heat for about 5 minutes, or until onions begin to caramelize (start to become translucent) and peppers are softened.
4. In a separate pan, heat the other tbsp of olive oil on medium heat and cook shrimp until it turns pink. Set aside.
5. Add the potatoes and tomato to the pepper and onion mixture. Cook for another 5 minutes, until the potato begins to soften.
6. Add in chorizo, shrimp, and a dash of salt to veggie mixture, cover and let simmer for 20 minutes on low/medium temperature. Remove cover, stir, and let simmer for another 5 minutes.
7. Remove cover and serve with your choice of sides.