I don't really have too much to say about this dish other than a long, drawn out alliteration: sweet, salty, savory, summery skirt steak. There it is. When you take a bite of the steak with the peppers, dipped in the sauce, it's a fireworks display of flavors all at once. I love being able to taste the individual ingredients that go into a dish, instead of it turning into one big sloppy flavor mess!
Now, take note that this is no Rachel Ray 30 minute meal (thank goodness.) Be sure to allow yourself enough time to let everything sit and marinate in order to obtain the highest degree of flavor. I've decided to make a time-line to help you out with how you can plan this meal:
-8 hours before serving (or the night before): begin marinating steak. Be sure to turn it at least once so that both sides are well coated.
-1 hour before serving: make dipping sauce.
-40 minutes before serving: take the steak and marinade out of the refrigerator, and cook the rice.
-30 minutes before serving: chop peppers and pour the marinade into a pan. Heat until boiling and let simmer to use as a baster.
-20 minutes before serving: begin cooking the steak!
It always helps me to plan everything out in regards to timing before the meal is served, especially if there are several different components. You can use the above timeline, or create one for yourself! I feel that I have been a bit wordy in my instructions for cooking below, so please pardon any excessive explanations. Just want to make sure that I am thorough!
Ingredients (serves 4):
-2 pounds skirt steak
-1 tbsp cracked pepper
-3 cloves of garlic, chopped
-1/2 cup soy sauce
-1 red bell pepper, sliced into 1/4 inch thick slices
-1 tbsp olive oil
1. Squeeze three oranges and put juice into an 11x7 inch pan, or of comparable size. Add pepper, chopped garlic and soy sauce. Lay the steak into the marinade and turn once, so that both sides are coated. Cover and refrigerate for 8 hours or overnight. Turn at least once during the day, to ensure even flavor.
2. (Following the time-line above) remove the steak from the refrigerator and set out. Preheat oven to 400. (Following time-line) drain the marinade from the marinating pan, and bring to a boil in a sauce pan. This will be used to baste.
3. Heat the olive oil on high. Place peppers into the pan to the side, and then the steak in the middle of the pan for the highest heat. Pan sear the steak for a minute and a half on each side, basting as needed, until the outside has browned. Transfer both the peppers and the steak into a shallow baking dish, and bake at 400 for 6-8 minutes, depending on the thickness of the steak.
4. Let rest for 5-10 minutes. Cut lengthwise, against the grain and serve with rice and dipping sauce (see below).
Ingredients for dipping sauce:
-1 tbsp soy sauce
-1 tbsp olive oil
-1 green onion, chopped
*be sure to make this at least an hour before serving, so that it can reach room temperature.
1. Zest the orange and place the zest in the bottom of a bowl.
2. Supreme the orange and add in chunks from half of the supremed orange on top of the zest. Squeeze the second half of the orange over the chunks.
3. Add in soy sauce, olive oil and green onion. Stir together well and let sit. Serve alongside the steak and rice.
#436338 - Spicy Potato Salad Recipe
7 hours ago