Sunday, August 1, 2010

Chicken Parmesan: the remix!








I think Chicken Parmesan is one of those recipes that appeals to everyone. I wanted to make it for dinner without all of the fat that is found in a restaurant Chicken Parm. In other words, cut down on that breading! I wanted to focus on the protein and those classic flavors, without the excess oils. This version gives a minimal (but satisfying) breading, but doesn't cut back on the flavors!

In addition to cutting down on the fat, I wanted to cut down on the carbs with the usual pasta. Trust me, carbs are my bffs, but my husband is trying to cut down as much as possible, so I comply....sometimes. : ) In order to do that, I made a zucchini "pasta". This way, we were able to have something filling and fresh which resembles pasta! Also, this was a great way to use up the huge box of zucchini I got at the farmer's market.

The thing I noticed most about this recipe is the moistness (is that a word?) of the chicken. Totally flavorful, and the breading along with the sauce keeps all the moisture in the chicken. I could only finish half of mine because it was so filling!

Enjoy!


INGREDIENTS:

Chicken parmesan:
2 boneless, skinless chicken breast
2 cups tomato sauce or marinara (I just used a jarred marinara)
1 cup mozzarella (I would recommend the fresh, but only had shredded in my fridge!)
2 tbsp olive oil2 tbsp parmesan
1/2 tbsp oregano
1/2 tbsp basil
1/2 tbsp parsley
2 cloves garlic, minced
1/2 cup plain breadcrumbs
1. Heat oven to 350

2. Mix together the oregano, basil, parsley, garlic, and breadcrumbs. Coat the chicken in the breadcrumb mixture.








3. Heat olive oil in a pan until hot (little waves should appear in the oil). Brown each chicken breast on each side, heating about 1 minute on each side.






4. Pour the tomato sauce in a glass or ceramic pan. Place chicken on top of oil the tomato sauce, and top each breast with one tbsp of parmesan and one tbsp of mozzarella. Cook for 15 minutes covered with aluminum foil. Remove foil and cook for an additional 15 minutes. Cheese should be melted and chicken should be cooked through.

5. Place chicken on top of zucchini "pasta" (see below) and pour tomato sauce on top of chicken.


Zucchini "pasta":Take 3-4 small zuchinni and use a apple peeler to peel the zucchini lengthwise. In a large pan, place the ribbons of zucchini and 1/3 cup water. Cover for 5 minutes until the zucchini is soft. Uncover and cook until the water has evaporated. Toss with a sprinkling of parmesan and salt. I've also added marinara before, which makes it even more sneaky. : )

No comments:

Post a Comment