Sunday, April 1, 2012

Carrot cake....turned rogue


2 posts in the same week - can it be? I don't know what happened, but the creativity switch is currently flipped to "on". How exciting.

I wanted to make some carrot cake, not necessarily to celebrate all the Easter bunny related foods out there, but because it's delicious. Carrots on their own: mediocre. Carrots doused in sugar, baking magic, and cream cheese frosting: no words can describe.

However, I had a roadblock when I discovered I'm out of sugar! So, I have turned this into a "lighter" (much lighter, actually) version of the original carrot cake. I have replaced oil with applesauce, and sugar has been replaced with Splenda. In total, each BIG muffin is about 170 calories. They are actually quite dense and filling, not like a normal "cakey" muffin.
I had roasted some carrots earlier today, and used some of them instead of fresh. I think it just gives it a deeper flavor, but for simplicity sake, I will just write the recipe using fresh carrots, to avoid the hour of roasting.

Enjoy!

INGREDIENTS (makes 6 BIG muffins):
1 cup whole wheat flour
1 tsp baking soda
1/2 tsp salt
1 tsp cinnamon
1/2 tsp nutmeg
1 cup applesauce
1 cup splenda baking sugar
2 eggs
1 1/2 cup carrots - grated
powdered sugar for appearance

1. preheat to 350
2. In a large bowl, mix together the dry ingredients (flour, soda, salt, cinnamon, nutmeg)
3. In a separate bowl, mix together the final ingredients until smooth
4. Add the wet ingredients into the dry until just mixed (don't over mix....don't you dare)
5. Pour into 6 big cupcake tins, or 10-12 regular sized and bake for 20 minutes or until inserted toothpick comes out clean

No comments:

Post a Comment