Sunday, September 19, 2010

Do you fondant?

Alright, so this picture is sub-par, but it was late and I was too tired to care!
This was my first experience with fondant, and it was a lot easier than I expected! If you can play with play-doe, you can work with fondant. It takes some time, especially to color it evenly, but the outcome was really fun. I made this cake for my sister's baby shower, and it went over pretty darn well! I did a cream cheese icing, with the rubber ducky fondant and polka dots on the side (not visible here). Anyway, if I can do it (as a not very artistic person...) so can you!

Enjoy!

INGREDIENTS:
16 ounces white mini-marshmallows
3 tablespoons water
2 pounds confectioners sugar

1. In a microwavable bowl, combine the marshmallows and water. Microwave for 30 seconds and then stir. Continue the microwave and stir action until the texture has turned soupy.
2. Being careful (because it's HOT), add the powdered/confectioners 1/2 cup at a time. Fold in the sugar until the fondant turns into a play-dough texture. Roll out with a rolling pin. If you need to add color, just add in the coloring and knead until the color evens out.
3. Have fun!

2 comments:

  1. Oh god no, I don't fondant... But yours looks beautiful!!!
    I tried using the ready-made kind and it was a total fail... maybe I would have more luck with making my own. I tend to stick to the old fashioned piping with tips and bags decorating. I made some cool sugar cookies with power F's for the marching band... I wish I'd taken a picture!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Aw cute! I bet those cookies were really fun. Trust me, it's really easy, it just takes some time to roll it all out. If you can play with play-dough, you can totally do it!

    ReplyDelete