Friday, November 6, 2009

Herbed Crust Pizza


Obviously over the last month I have been inactive in my blogeteering. Why? Because I have no time to be creative! 90% of the time I'm just trying to make sure I have some meal to put on the table, and the other ten percent of the time I've been making some sub-par, unoriginal baked goodness. Sigh! However, I'm trying to get back into the brainstorming mode for food, so that I can spice it up a bit at dinner.

This recipe is great if you're looking for something simple that will please anyone. Because who doesn't love pizza?? Feel free to switch up your herbs and toppings (of course). That's half of the fun of making a pizza, right?

Hopefully from now on I'll be able to get together some recipes with a bit more regularity. *crossing my fingers*

Enjoy!

INGREDIENTS: (makes one 12" pizza)

For the crust:
1 3/4 cup all purpose flour
1/2 tsp salt
1 pkg active dry yeast
2 tsp sugar
3/4 cup water
1 tbsp olive oil
1/2 teaspoon of each: basil, oregano, and marjoram
1 egg white mixed with 2 tbsp water
1 tbsp corn meal

(As for the toppings, it's whatever your heart desires! I did 1/2 of the pizza with the good ole cheese and pepperoni for my husband, and the other 1/2 spinach and LOTS of fresh cracked pepper for me. I also (somewhat liberally) sprinkled sea salt on top, before baking, in addition to the minor salt in the crust.)

1. In a small bowl, mix together water, sugar, and yeast. Let sit for 3-4 minutes, or until a light foam appears on top.

2. In a separate bowl, mix together flour, salt, and herbs.

3. Combine the yeast mixture with flour mixture, and add olive oil. Knead for 5-6 minutes, until everything is well incorporated. Place in covered bowl and let rise, until doubled in size.

4. Punch dough down and re-knead. Sprinkle the corn meal on the pizza stone, or cookie sheet if pizza stone is not available. Spread out the dough on the stone, until approximately 12 inches across. Add on toppings.

5. Brush egg white mixture on the outer edge to achieve a crunchy crust.

5. Bake at 400 for 20 minutes, or until cheese has browned slightly.

1 comment:

  1. LISA!!!!! This looks AMAZING. I'm definitely going to try it soon!

    At least you have time to cook at all.... I've mostly been surviving on Lean Cuisine lately.. lame.

    ReplyDelete